lyrics from the mind and pen of tim byrnes

.... a work in progress which will ultimately include all lyrics from the CDs "My Bloody Hootenanny" and "Boy Genius Alert" and, hopefully all the CDs to come! Thanks for reading and listening ............. tim byrnes

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hate is the New Love

Looking back, over my shoulder
Thinkin' 'Damn, that's a long ass road'
And it's littered w/some small triumphs, sure
And what looked like victory would usually explode in my face
And if I were to trace every tragic mistake this old man ever made or will make
It'd look like 'The Pocket History of the Human Race'
And if you think that makes me happy yr wrong.
Now sing w/me this funeral song
Hate is the new love. We are what we're not.
Hate is the new love 'cause that's all we got
Looking out an third floor window
Thinkin' 'Damn, when did this get here?'
The cars have no specific color now,
And the air feels like it's been shrinkwrapped and made out of fear
And year after year in this worldly career we trample on everything someone holds dear
And offer the carnage as proof that our collective conscience is clear.
And if you think that makes me happy yr wrong.
Cause this is a protest song
Hate is the new love......
And I ain't got no invisible man
To hold me in his invisible hands
And carry me to safety, away from what I am
I will not rest in an invisible land
Or burn by an invisible command
But, if I'm damned, I'll be damned if we're not all damned.
Hate is the new love...............
Looking back, over my shoulder
Thinkin' 'Damn, that's a long ass road.'

(from the CD "My Bloody Hootenanny")

No comments:

Post a Comment