lyrics from the mind and pen of tim byrnes

.... a work in progress which will ultimately include all lyrics from the CDs "My Bloody Hootenanny" and "Boy Genius Alert" and, hopefully all the CDs to come! Thanks for reading and listening ............. tim byrnes

Monday, October 4, 2010

Good and Evil Rockin" Tonight

The Garden of Good and Evil's rockin' tonight
The angels are shining their little lights
All upon the silent and the silence
All upon the mindless and the violent
And some would call it courage, some would call it courage
Somebody mocked the devil just to make him flee
Who'd expect that he'd come runnin' to me
So I gave him some water 'cause he looked like hell
And I showed him the door and I wished him well
I mean, who am I to judge, who am I to judge
Have you heard the news, there's good and evil rockin' tonight
Maybe Jesus came to me disguised as my friends
I'm still not sure where one starts and ends
But I always get angry and I always feel played
And maybe I'm not saved, baby, but I'm not afraid
Oh, believe me when I say there are reasons I've evolved this way
Y'see I was brought up the way they used to call right
Back when black was black and thank Christ I'm white
But little by little I threw off those coats
And strangled those metaphors by their meta-throats
And whatever I didn't keep I threw on the fire
And I looked to the sky and I called god a liar
And nobody's answered, at least not yet
And I'm not one to hedge my bet
I said "Look at me" (no, no I mean it: "Look at me")
God and the devil walk hand in hand in every woman and every man
Just like good and evil walk hand in hand in every woman and every man
How can I know that? How can I say that?
Have you heard the news, there's good and evil rockin' tonight

(from the CD "My Bloody Hootenanny")

No comments:

Post a Comment